A couple of centuries ago, innocent people who suffered only from medical or psychiatric conditions—such as Tourette’s syndrome or Epilepsy—were falsely accused as being possessed. However while modern day churches have accepted the findings of modern science and usually insist that all psychiatric and medical avenues of treatment be exhausted before the Rite of Exorcism can be performed, science and the church are still butting heads. Primarily due to the fact that many within the science community are willing to admit that their science cannot explain everything, and they are equally unwilling to admit that the Church is right; demonic possession does exist. But that is starting to change as more and more professional are either offering the rite within their practice or by enlisting the help of a qualified minister, in other words even some mental health and medical professionals now believe that demonic possession is real!
Think that someone close to you or even you might be being used by an evil spirit or demon? Here are some things to look out for…
- Mental Changes in the Person:
Even though these changes in the list can be indicative of certain mental problems (such as depression in particular) or even a newly formed drug usage or addiction, it is the combination of these mental alterations with the following categories that can truly show if a person is being possessed or not. However, these detailed signs may still not be enough to say if a person is being possessed by an outside entity.
- Self diagnosis
or the diagnosis of someone by an average person or amateur can lead to many problems. The studies to be listed here are meant to inform and act only as a small aid. If you are suggestible you probably should not be reading any further for the sake of your own sanity. If after reading though, you think that the person you have in mind truly is being possessed by a demon or dark spirit please feel free to reach out to religious officials or a professional exorcist to have a final, decisive diagnosis.
- Personality Changes
The person may become threatening, abusive, or violent for no clear, outward reason. These characteristics are especially noticeable when the person lashes out to harm innocent animals. An sudden increase in sexual tendencies or desires can also indicate possible demonic possession whereby the person practices excessive masturbation—most notably even going so far as to perform the deed in the presence of other people or even in public.
- Diet Changes
Having a change in taste buds can also be a tell tale sign as the person might be suddenly repulsed by once favorite foods all of the sudden with no linked reason behind the change or even start to enjoy foods that they used to detest.
- Unusual Extreme Nightmares
During the night when the mind is at is most vulnerable, the person in question may also suffer from extreme nightmares or severe night terrors that are not normal for the individual or are happening on a consistent basis.
Anyway, be sure to pay attention to these mental changes in the person you have in mind for both a practical reason (like they may be suffering from a mental illness) and a more spiritual one (as they may truly be taken over and used by an outside force).
- Look for an affable person who suddenly becomes extremely quiet instead.
- Look for changes in sleeping patterns—can be sleeping a lot more than normal or a lot less than normal.
- Pay attention for evidence of self mutilation.
- Look for the person to begin cursing a lot when it is not part of their normal character.
- Notice any sudden aversions to religious objects and places, particularly to the point of destruction or defaming those same objects or places (like crosses, chalices, or churches).
- Pay very close attention to the person if they have frequent blackouts in their memories or start to lose great spans of time in their day as this trait can be key to identifying the times when the entity took over the physical form of the normal human.
- Physical Alterations Within the Person
The person can begin to speak in tongues whereby they suddenly start talking in a language they cannot possibly know (an actual language such as Spanish or Hindi even which they have not previously studied but quickly adopt and understand) or even speaking their normal language in strange accents that are not their own natural way of speaking can point to the possibility of possession. Other signs that are linked to the voice of the individual in determining possession by an aggressive entity are the person’s voice changes its tone frequency—from low to high to even a guttural type of growl.
- The individual can appear to be catatonic or merely just goes very long periods of time without blinking. Since these particular symptoms can also indicate certain neurological conditions, be careful when assigning this as a symptom of demonic possession if there are no other signs or symptoms.
- Since the eyes are the window to the soul, physical changes can affect the eyes of the person in question also.
- Eye color (such as just the irises) can change to different but natural colors. Another way eyes can be a major sign of possession is when they entire eye itself becomes infected by black almost like a shark’s
- Unusual movements of the person’s body should be closely paid attention to. They may seem to glide rather than walk or can twist their bodies in odd and seemingly impossible ways. Levitation is also a potential sign that points strongly to demonic possession.
- If you believe the person is not ill at all or continue to behave strangely continuously, do ask him/her if perhaps he has committed something wrong which give the adversary legal right for the possession.
- Ask the person if he/she feels strange only in certain time or all the time.
- Ask the person if he/she has noticed the sudden change or it came by itself.
- Ask the person if he/she has enemies that can perform black magic.
- Ask the person what he/she thinks when hearing prayers or God stuffs.
- Ask the person if he/she is in love with someone and because of love he/she is like this (Black magic can be performed to get someone you love).
- Ask the person if he/she feels a presence, or thinks of someone or has seen something unexplained.
- They may levitate.
- There may be multiple voices coming from the person at the same time.
- Take note if animals appear to be frightened of the person, especially if animals previously friendly to the person suddenly begin to act strangely even hostile.
- Objects move around seemingly by themselves.
- Objects may disappear and not be found again, or found later at a distant location with absolutely no rational explanation for the movement.
- Objects fly around as if they were thrown from unseen hands.
- Religious articles disappear or are destroyed. They may also be desecrated. This phenomena occurring while no one is in the area.
- Odd lights may be seen. They may shoot around a room.
- There may be scratching sounds heard without an obvious source.
- Heavy furniture may move on its own.
- There may be sightings of people or dark shadows that may or may not have form.
- Odd-looking creatures may be seen.
- Doors and drawers may open and close on their own.
- Electrical appliances may turn on or off.
- Spontaneous fires may start up
- Animals may become spooked and stay away from the targeted person altogether.
- Animals may growl at something they see but you do not.
- Any talk of God or religion may cause an outbreak of activity.
- Glass may break for no reason.
- Sounds of glass breaking may be heard but there is no evidence of it happening.
- There may be sudden temperature changes, up and down although it is usually down. These can be recorded on a thermometer.
- A person may suddenly become cold while the temperature remains constant. A thermometer may record a one to two degree drop in that person.
- People may have a feeling of being watched or that they are not alone.
- People may hear voices when no one is present.
- People will often hear their name called only to find that no one is around. Sometimes, a couple will each think they heard the other call to them,
- There may be a sensation of wind blowing even with the windows closed.
- Apparent retaliation after some attempt to stop the activity.
- Activity starts up when you attempt to say prayers.
- Apparent retaliation if a clergyman has been to the home.
- Physical attacks. It might be in the form of punching, scratching, biting, hair pulling, etc.
- Psychological attacks. The entity knows your weaknesses and will try to exploit them. Someone who feels ashamed about something will have an increase in that emotion. The same is true for depression, anxiety and anything else you can think of.
- Sexual assaults. This can run the gamut from fondling to actual penetration. This can occur in males as well as females.
Note: Please don’t go thinking you’ve been possessed because you may have experienced some of the above in a haunted home. We are looking at this as a whole with symptoms from all 3 sections. Before jumping to the conclusion of someone being possessed it is very important to take time to think rationally about the situation and eliminate any logical reasons for the experiences.
Signs You May Notice in Yourself
- Feeling “beside yourself” or “above yourself”. Disconnected.
- Feeling chronically ungrounded.
- Out of character selfishness, hatefulness, greed, and jealousy.
- Feeling carried away by something avaricious during trance or dreaming.
- Experiencing the feeling that something is just beside or behind you, you may feel a stabbing sensation or pressure.
- Experiencing chronic distraction whenever you try to get centered or do something good for yourself. Also experiencing unusual and remarkable hurdles to this.
- Compulsive behavior that is out of character.
- Loss of good judgment.
- Restlessness, forgetfulness, general lack of mental focus, chronic boredom, and depression.
- Suicidal thoughts and behavior.
- Obsessive thinking and behavior.
- Self abusive behavior and/or body neglect.
- Feeling lost or betrayed for no specific reason.
- Feeling “driven” or “captive” emotionally or mentally by a cycle of anger, fear, resentment, or sadness. This also applies when it pertains to feeling held hostage by a person or idea.
- Nightmares which recur; especially those which consume or color your thoughts most or all of the day following the dreaming.
- Waking feeling suffocated or feeling that the darkness is smothering you.
- Unreasoned fear.
- Pain, pressure, paralysis or muscle spasms which have no medical explanation.
- Cycles of events which amount to ongoing crisis, tragedy or stress.
- Sleeping plenty, but awaking completely drained.
- Cycles of interactions with others which recur and cause pain, i.e.: repeatedly choosing lovers who are abusive or abandoning. This can be more subtle too, such as choosing friends, who refuse, avoid or are unable to resolve conflicts and which always or nearly always result in eventual loss of or disconnection with the each friend made.
- All or several signs combined which cycle over and over despite best efforts to resolve in usually effective ways. Each cycle ends in feeling drained and “mortally tired”, even feeling abused.
Note: Once again some of these symptoms can be related to medical or psychological conditions, a reaction to medication or illegal drug use or a reaction to a stressful or traumatic event that has happened to you.
Spirits can also project some of these experiences on to you without actually possessing you. It’s always important to think rationally about what you are experiencing; don’t be quick to jump to conclusions.